Transition refers to children moving from one class to another usually at the start of the academic year in September. It can also refer to children moving from Year 6 to a Secondary School.
At Stanhope Barrington we recognise how important a successful transition is to our pupils with SEND and we therefore:
- Ensure children have met their new teacher before the start of the new academic year
- Arrange for each new class to spend a day with their new teacher in July to allay any fears or anxieties.
- Make sure all teachers have ‘handover’ meetings and all SEND information is transferred to the new teacher.
- Ensure the SENCO has an overview of all SEND children who are transiting to a new teacher.
- Work with parents who are concerned about transition
- Work closely in partnership with our feeder Secondary School, Wolsingham Comprehensive and have regular transition meetings with their team.
- All SEND information is past onto the new Secondary Schools.
- Act as a bridge between parents and carers and the new Secondary Schools, arranging additional visits for pupils and/or their parents if necessary.
New starters are offered the following opportunities:
- A personal individual tour of the school by a member of the Senior Leadership Team
- A school welcome pack which gives further details of our school
- Children can visit their new class for a day to see if they like us
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.